
When my mommy came to visit last year, she was astounded at the incredible SLOWNESS of everybody around her. She hustled her car up to the front of the line, drove agressively and defensively... just in case. I tried all weekend to impress upon her that Moscow is filled with slow-moving people, and just to get used to it. I hadn't yet come up with the perfect explanation, but I found this little tidbit on CNN this morning!
"There's this sense that we're so important that every single moment has to be filled; we can't even pull over or we're going to miss five minutes' driving time or 10 minutes' driving time. The pace is at this breakneck speed," said Condren[...] "The truth is nobody is that important or that in demand that they can't practice safety and good common-sense behaviors."
Exactly my thoughts. I dislike visiting L.A. for this reason: people think they have to get somewheres right away. Common-courtesy=Common-sense. Open doors for people. Let them in at the light. Smile like you might have something in common; because, chances are, you do!

No comments:
Post a Comment